9 Mar 2013

*S* Scofflaw Nail Varnish [Indie Guide Project]

Hi Girls & Boys!
I'm so happy to be back with another Indie Brand !
Today I'm presenting you Finch, the maker of Scofflaw Polishes !


Olá meninas & Meninos !!
Estou super feliz por hoje vos trazer mais uma marca Indie !
Hoje Apresento-vos a Finch, a criadora dos Scofflaw Polishes !

* * *
For those who don't know what I am talking about (Follow me through Facebook to know a lot more!) I am making an Indie Guide A-Z! This will be a huge project and a enormous pleasure to do! So .. what am I going to do? Everyday, I'm going to show you a different brand of Indie Nail Polishes (and some of their major stockists too!! )
* * *




Your Name: Finch
Brand Name:  Scofflaw Nail Varnish

Where are you from? I live in Chicago, USA.

When have you started? I am a pretty new brand - my shop only opened this year. I researched and developed my line for several months before I opened, however. I was feeling a lack of a creative outlet in my day-to-day life. I studied at school as an illustrator/painter, and thought making polish would recreate the enjoyment I feel when mixing colors on a canvas.


Is there a story behind the name of your brand? Scofflaw is a term that was coined during the Prohibition era, and means quite literally 'one who scoffs at the law'. As you can imagine, it was in reference to speakeasy patrons; those jazz dancin', knee-showin' sorts. While its rebellious origins are pretty much lost in the dustbins of dated slang, it still pops up sometimes to describe - oddly - people who violate traffic rules. However, it's used here in its original sense, celebrating those who 'scoff the law' in their own personal (and hopefully) metaphorical ways.


How many polishes/collections have you created?  At this time, the Scofflaw collection numbers 11 polishes. However, more are in the works! I don't really do 'collections' with themes, though. I might in the future, but right now I just make polishes I enjoy and name them whatever goofy name I feel fits the polish and makes me smile.


Is there a special polish/collection? Why? Oh, that's hard. I love all my children, but I suppose I DO love a couple more than others. Right now I would say my favorite three are Sturm Und Drang (I just love gray), David Bowie's Bulge (I feel this one has a special pizazz!), and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (it was the first polish I made that made me say, "This one is a keeper!" My eldest!).


Where you a polish addicted before starting making polishes?  Oh yes. I have been into polish for a couple years. I used to never, ever wear polish and I had rough nubbins. I didn't chew them, but I'd pick and tear my nails so they were always down to the quick. If asked, I would have said I was too busy for 'nail polish silliness'. But I had friends into it, and I would paint my nails when hanging out with them. I soon discovered I find the act of laying out my tools and polishes and going through the steps to be very zen. And don't let anyone ever tell you shapely nails means you can't/don't work with your hands! I paint, am a hardcore cyclist, and definitely get down and dirty. 

Did you have a blog before making polishes or have you started one after?  I did, but I was terribly lazy about updating it! I still post pictures of manis I am especially proud of to various nail boards, though. 


Whats your favorite thing about making polishes?  When I see something in my head and finally crack the code to actually finding the right combinations of glitter, mica, oxides, and pigments to capture it. 

Also, naming the polishes. It's like that scene in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when Clem is on the train talking about hair dye colors. "How do you get that job? I want that job!"


Can you tell us a curious thing that has happened to you with some client or something funny? Someone found a cat hair in their polish! It's the ultimate Locked Room mystery, as the cat has never ever been allowed in the studio where I mix and bottle. Not to mention the polish goes directly from my mixing container to the bottle, and I wipe the neck of each bottle to catch any possible drips. AND I wash my hands before bottling! Yet, a cat hair in the neck of the bottle. Go figure. That cat is a brat anyways, so I shouldn't be surprised.


Is there anything you'd Like to share:  Just that so far the response to Scofflaw has been very lovely and a bit overwhelming! I am pleased everyone seems to really like it, and I hope to continue to make polish that other people love as much as I do. 


Contacts


* * * 

Personal Notes from Betty:
Thank you Finch, for all your support and for being so nice and attentive! =D I truly appreciate! 
Once again I  show my total support for Indie Makers and my full respect for their work.
I will not translate the interviews because words and meanings get lost in translation. I hope you understand. Please pm me or comment bellow if you have any doubts. 
If you are an Indie Maker and wont to participate in the project, please contact me through Facebook or email (blog.bettynails@gmail.com). You are still in time! 
Don't Forget to come tomorrow ! 


* * *
I hope you loved today's Post!
What was your favorite part? Let me know all in the comment section bellow! 
 Please do comment, follow and share if  you liked, your feedback is very important to me and to all the girls that invested in this project!
Kisses & See you tomorrow !



*This is a post for the Guide A-Z :Indie Brands*
You can find all the info in the Guide A-Z Indie Brands Page,on the top of the Blog, or check  the Indie Guide Tag
*pictures taken from Scofflaw Facebook Page with Finch's Permission*




No comments:

Post a Comment